May 24, 2018
Contact: T.W. Arrighi
Rep. Walters Votes to Rebuild Military, Improve Readiness, and Provide Troops with Largest Pay Raise In Nearly a Decade
Washington, DC – Today, Representative Mimi Walters (R-California) released the following statement after the U.S. House of Representatives passed the Fiscal Year 2019 National Defense Authorization Act (FY19 NDAA), which establishes national security policies, and authorizes spending for the United States military.
The FY19 NDAA reaffirms Congress’ commitment to national security by providing the resources necessary to support readiness and the brave men and women of our armed forces. This legislation:
- Improves military readiness to ensure equipment and infrastructure is mission ready;
- Provides our troops with a 2.6 percent pay raise, the largest in nearly a decade;
- Increases the size of our military, while providing each service branch with additional funding for personnel training;
- Ensures service members have access to the best care by requiring a comprehensive review of mental health services and wounded warrior care; and
- Supports missile defense funding to protect our Nation from growing nuclear threats like North Korea.
Learn more about the FY19 NDAA here.
Said Rep. Walters, “The United States continues to face growing threats across the globe from countries and regimes that seek to undermine our safety and security. To combat these threats, our military must have the tools and resources it needs to carry out its mission.
“Over the last several years, several non-combat training-related accidents claimed the lives of over 100 service members. Rebuilding our military to ensure our troops have modern, safe, and reliable equipment will help put an end to this devastating trend.
“Increasing troop numbers, while providing them with their largest pay increase in nine years, demonstrates our commitment to the brave men and women who protect our Nation.
“This legislation also supports America’s missile defense systems, invests in emerging technologies, and establishes initiatives to address growing threats from overseas adversaries. I am proud to support the FY19 NDAA, which prioritizes our national security and keeps Orange County safe.”
Walters represents California’s 45th District and serves on the House Energy and Commerce Committee and the House Ethics Committee.